- 1 pound dried navy beans, soaked overnight
- 2 boxes vegetable broth (about 30 oz or 3 3/4 cups)
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped (divided)
- Add beans, broth, onion, garlic, and 1 of the carrots to a crock pot and turn on low.
- Cook until beans are soft, about 4.5 hours.
- Remove from crock pot and add second chopped carrot.
Janet served the soup with shredded cheese, sour cream, and fresh roasted veggies. To make the veggies, she roasted 1 corn on the cob on the grill, and also put 2 jalepenos and two onion halves on the grill for a little flavor (but not to cook them). She then chopped those up with 2 tomatoes, some mushrooms, and some cilantro then put a squeeze of lime and a small shake of garlic salt over all of it.
She notes that she never makes exactly the same thing twice and often adds green chiles to the soup if she has them. She might not ever make this again, but we certainly will!
Special Diet Considerations:
The cheese and sour cream are available in rice varieties for those interested, but we haven't tried them in this soup.